As I think about moving into my next congregation, I really want to start well. So I put together a list of questions to help me focus. Most of these were used in one form or another in all three previous congregations. I found them in various old notebooks and compiled them here. Decluttering has its advantages!
For the congregation:
- Is what we are saying/doing helping to generate conversations about the good, the better, the possible? Is it strengthening our relationships?
- How can we create positive images of the future and lead with positive actions?
- How can we generate/continue to foster hope, excitement, inspiration, caring, camaraderie, sense of urgent purpose, sheer joy in creating something meaningful together?
- What is it we want more of? (instead of: we don’t like…)
- What would move us in the direction we want to go?
- What gives life when we are at our best?
For the Session, Deacons and committee leaders/members:
- Whom do I bring with me when I come to meetings?
- What burdens/joys do I bring with me ?
- What has our team done well in the past 6 months, 1 year, 5 years?
- What do I value most about our church?
- What do I value most about being part of the team?
- With whom do we feel my primary relationship/respinsiblilty?
- What are the expected traditions? (we always…)
- What are the most recent changes in congregational life?
- How and why were those changes made?
- What things, if suddenly ended, would make people feel like this was no longer be our church?
- What are people yearning for in the congregation? How do we know/find out?
- What are people yearning for in the community? How do we know/find out?