NON-TRADITIONAL Thai Seasoned Crab Cakes
2 slices French or Italian bread, crusts removed (3/4 c. fresh bread crumbs)
1 c. lightly packed cilantro leaves
1 piece peeled fresh ginger (about 1×1-1/2 inches)
2 medium green onions with tops, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tsp Chinese chili sauce
1/2 c. unsweetened coconut milk (shake well to incorporate solids if using canned milk)
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp fruit chutney (I like Major Grey’s mango chutney)
1 egg or 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 lb. fresh crab meat, picked over and blotted dry with paper towels
In food processor with metal blades:
1. Process bread into crumbs, set aside 3/4 c. to use and save the rest for another recipe
2. Process cilantro, ginger, and green onions until minced.
3. Add chili sauce and coconut milk. Pulse till incorporated.
4. Add lime juice, chutney, and egg. Pulse 3 or 4 times to incorporate.
5. Stir crabmeat and bread crumbs tigether in another large bowl.
6. Add contents of food processor and stir gently to combine.
7. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight to firm up. (longer refrigeration time helps cakes cling together.
1. Place rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees.
2. Grease or spray a backing sheet
3. Gently shape into mounds and place about 1 inch apart
4. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden.
5. Serve with favorite Asian flavored dipping sauce.
Eat, savoring the yumminess and think of me and one of my favorite cookbooks from which comes this recipe. (Marlene Sorosky’s Entertaining on the Run)